(Editor’s Note: Ketchum’s team members regularly share their secret and not-so-secret passions with their colleagues. In this essay, Linsey Flannery acknowledges a deep and abiding love of the world of makeup — the potions, glosses, creams, shades, shadows and related paraphernalia that help us put our best face forward, however we decide from day to day we want that face to look. It’s a fun and useful piece, and even contains a delightful distracton for those not so interested in the glamorous art. Enjoy!)
By Linsey Flannery
Well, surprise, surprise, my passion is makeup and cosmetics. I would have presented this to you in a staff meeting but I couldn’t bear to watch all your faces turn from interest to concern as it sunk in that I have a serious problem. So, with that, I have listed my favourite products below. I limited myself to five products in each of three categories – all time favourites, current favourites and drug store favourites.
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that for some of you, this probably isn’t your bag, so here is a link to a video of a wasted guy trying to put his flip flops on at Coachella 2010. I think everyone can appreciate that.
Top Five Products of All Time:
• NARS Bronzer in Laguna – makes you look pretty, not Lohan-y.
• Benefit Benetint – this is a cheek stain. It is sweat proof, smudge proof and I love all three colours. Current favourite is Cha Cha because it is good for summer but the original, Benetint, is good for winter.
• MAC Strobe Cream – you know how people who exercise have that glow? This is that glow in a face cream.
• Chanel La Ligne De Chanel in Brun-Lame – this colour is no longer available but they have black and that is good too. This is a cake liner. Like liquid liner only way better because it comes with its own brush that is awesome. I would buy it just for the brush.
• NARS The Multiple in Copacabana – this is a highlighter. It makes you look like the light is hitting you in just the right way. Come by if you want me to show you where highlighter goes. Hint: it no longer goes where it went in the 80’s.)
• The Brow House Eyebrow Pencil in Blonde – eyebrows are super important. If you have ever seen someone without eyebrows, you know what I am talking about.
• Jane Iredale Lipgloss in Cherry Sparkle – it looks crazy in the tube but just try it.
• Bobbi Brown Creamy Eye Pencil in Jet – this has staying power and it is actually black. So many blacks aren’t black. BLG team, please start looking into a law suit against companies that call things black when they are clearly dark grey at best.
• Chantecaille Brilliant Gloss in Charm – this lipgloss is sold out in Canada. If you would like to admire my tube you can swing by but I’m not going to let you hold it because I don’t trust you.
Fabulous Drug Store Finds
• Blistex Lip Medex – put it on before bed and you have pillowy Angelina lips in the morning.
• Dove Soap – I use it to wash my face. My face doctor recommended it over all the expensive brands. I love it.
• Loreal Voluminous Mascara in Blackest Black – you should be changing your mascara every three months so don’t waste your money on expensive ones.
• Prevens Deodorant Wipes – I like these for travelling – good for taking on planes, freshening up, etc. They are also biodegradable. Holla enviro team!
• Good ol’ Vaseline – Is there anything you can’t do with this? You can use it on your cheek bones as a highlighter, put it on dry cuticles, remove eye makeup with it, use it as lip balm… seriously, just get some.
Bonus Fabulous Drug Store Find:
Any makeup remover wipes – sometimes I’m too tired to wash my face before bed. Love these bad boys for those times.
Enjoy, and remember, you look fabulous!